Help With My Credit Union


The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) is the regulator and primary enforcement authority for federal credit unions. While NCUA does not arbitrate member complaints, we provide useful information and work to resolve misunderstandings between credit unions and members. Often, when NCUA raises a concern, credit unions will resolve the matter without NCUA taking corrective reinforcement action.

When to File a Complaint

First, attempt to resolve the issue directly with your credit union. You can do this over the phone, in person or in writing. If this is not successful, you may file a complaint with NCUA against your federal credit union. Use our chart to determine whether you belong to a federal credit union, a state-chartered credit union, or another financial institution.

Learn More

What to Expect

Once we receive your complaint, we will acknowledge its receipt. NCUA will keep you apprised of the status of your complaint. The process generally takes about 60 days. Depending on the credit union's response or the type of complaint, we may take additional steps or use a different approach. If we do, we will notify you in writing.

Learn More

How to Submit Your Complaint

If you have a complaint regarding the regulation of your Federal Credit Union, you may send your complaint online to the Office of Consumer Protection. Or, you could send a letter, fax or email regarding your complaint. The complaint must include your name and postal address.

Learn More

NCUA's Office of Consumer Protection

Established in 2010 to better protect the 94 million Americans who belong to credit unions, the Office of Consumer Protection includes the Division of Consumer Compliance and Outreach and the Division of Consumer Access.

Learn More

Untitled 1